We believe that The Gospel of Jesus Christ is an unfathomable Hope that has brought us from death to life as it sets us free to love God and others the way that we’ve been loved. We believe that, through Jesus’ life, death, resurrection and ascension, all of our sinfulness and the curse that goes along with it was put on and paid for by Jesus while all of His righteousness and his eternal adoptive inheritance was given to us so that the Father now and forever sees and treats us as his precious and righteous children. This, not because we’ve earned it in any way but Jesus earned it on our behalf. He saves us not because we are good but because He is good.
In short: Jesus Plus Nothing.
We stand upon the shoulders of God’s empowered servants that have said it like this:
- We are more sinful than we dare face
- More loved than we dare dream
- More instrumental than we could ever imagine.
To be more detailed, Grace Brevard is part of the EPC (Evangelical Presbyterian Church, EPC.org) and agree with the Essentials as laid out by them:
- We believe in one God, the sovereign Creator and Sustainer of all things, infinitely perfect and eternally existing in three Persons: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. To Him be all honor, glory and praise forever!
- Jesus Christ, the living Word, became flesh through His miraculous conception by the Holy Spirit and His virgin birth. He who is true God became true man united in one Person forever. He died on the cross a sacrifice for our sins according to the Scriptures. On the third day He arose bodily from the dead, ascended into heaven, where, at the right hand of the Majesty on High, He now is our High Priest and Mediator.
- The Holy Spirit has come to glorify Christ and to apply the saving work of Christ to our hearts. He convicts us of sin and draws us to the Savior. Indwelling our hearts, He gives new life to us, empowers and imparts gifts to us for service. He instructs and guides us into all truth, and seals us for the day of redemption.
- Being estranged from God and condemned by our sinfulness, our salvation is wholly dependent upon the work of God's free grace. God credits His righteousness to those who put their faith in Christ alone for their salvation, thereby justifies them in His sight. Only such as are born of the Holy Spirit and receive Jesus Christ become children of God and heirs of eternal life.
- The true Church is composed of all persons who through saving faith in Jesus Christ and the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit are united together in the body of Christ. The Church finds her visible, yet imperfect, expression in local congregations where the Word of God is preached in its purity and the sacraments are administered in their integrity; where scriptural discipline is practiced, and where loving fellowship is maintained. For her perfecting, she awaits the return of her Lord.
- Jesus Christ will come again to the earth—personally, visibly, and bodily—to judge the living and the dead, and to consummate history and the eternal plan of God. "Even so, come, Lord Jesus" (Revelation 22:20).
- The Lord Jesus Christ commands all believers to proclaim the Gospel throughout the world and to make disciples of all nations. Obedience to the Great Commission requires total commitment to "Him who loved us and gave Himself for us." He calls us to a life of self-denying love and service. "For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them" (Ephesians 2:10).
These Essentials are set forth in greater detail in the Westminster Confession of Faith.